Stephen Colbert publicly criticized CBS after the network released a statement addressing the removal of his interview with Rep. James Talarico from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. During Tuesday’s broadcast, the late night host pushed back on the network’s explanation, saying the statement was issued without consulting him.
Stephen Colbert reacts to CBS’ Statement on blocking an interview
Stephen Colbert used his Tuesday broadcast to directly address a statement issued by CBS concerning the decision not to air his interview with Rep. James Talarico.
Speaking on Tuesday’s episode, Colbert criticized both the substance and the manner of the release. The host told viewers that the network released its clarification without consulting him. “This statement, it’s a surprisingly small piece of paper considering how many butts it’s trying to cover,” he said.
CBS had stated that the program “was not prohibited” from airing the interview. According to the network, its legal team advised that broadcasting the segment “could trigger” the Federal Communications Commission’s equal-time rule for other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett. The statement said the show was presented with options to fulfill equal time requirements and ultimately chose to post the interview on YouTube with on-air promotion.
Colbert read the statement in full and described it as language “written by and, I’m guessing, for lawyers.” He said that “every word” of Sunday night’s script had been cleared by CBS attorneys prior to the interview being stopped.
The host first revealed the issue on Monday. He stated that CBS lawyers informed the show “in no uncertain terms” that the interview would not air in order to comply with the equal time provision. Colbert noted that talk shows have “long been an exception to this rule” but said the decision was made “for purely financial reasons.”
“Let’s just call this what it is. Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV,” he concluded. The interview with Rep. Talarico remains available on the show’s YouTube channel.
Originally reported by Disheeta Maheshwari on ComingSoon.
